4 dried ancho chiles
2 dried pasilla chiles
4 dried California chiles
2 cup beef stock
16 Moon Dust garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 Moon Dust Roma or plum tomaotes, halved
1 Moon Dust white onion, peeled, trimmed, quartered
12 whole allspice berries
3 tsp dried oregano
8 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp kosher salt
5 lb Silva Ranch boneless chuck roast, in 3" chunks
4 tbsp ghee or butter
4 cups beef stock
1 large carrot, peeled, in 2" chunks
6 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed with the flat side of a knife
6 sprigs oregano
2 sprigs thyme
3 bay leaves
2 large banana leaves, fresh or frozen
1/2 tsp salt
Tostada shells or charred corn tortillas
Crema or sour cream
1. For marinade: Toast dried chiles in iron skillet until slightly darkened and pliable. Stem & seed. Place in pot with stock. Simmer, covered, until softened, 10 mins. Remove from heat. Steep, 10 mins.
2. Heat iron skillet. Add garlic, tomatoes, & onion to skillet. Turn occasionally until charred all over, 10-12 mins. Peel garlic cloves. Transfer charred veggies & garlic to blender.
3. Toast spices until fragrant, 2-3 mins. Add to blender.
4. Add chiles, their soaking liquid, & vinegars to blender. Blend until smooth. Strain, pressing on solids to remove as much liquid as possible.
5. Heat butter in iron skillet. Once hot, carefully add chile mixture, stirring until slightly thickened, 5-7 mins. remove from heat. Stir in salt. Cool completely.
6. For beef: Add beef to marinade. Chill, covered, 8-12 hours.
7. Let beef stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Reserve marinade.
8. Heat ghee or butter in iron skillet. Remove meat from marinade. Add to skillet. Brown well.
9. Remove beef from skillet. Add broth to skillet to deglaze. Add carrots, garlic, oregano, thyme, & bay leaves. Pour into the bottom of a roasting pan.
10. Set roasting rack in roasting pan. Place 2 layers of banana leaf to cover the bottom of the rack, overlapping slightly. Place browned meat atop. Pour marinade over.
11. Cover beef with more banana leaves to enclose. Cover pan tightly with two layers of foil.
12. Bake at 350 for 3 1/2 hours. Remove pan from over. Let rest, 30 mins.
13. Remove beef from pan. Shred lightly. Pour any remaining marinade from atop banana leaves into the meat. Spoon a little pan juice from the bottom of the roasting pan to beef to moisten to taste.
14. Serve beef atop tostada shells or tortillas with crema, cilantro, & lime wedges. Enjoy!